Welcome to Head-Royce School
Founded in 1887, Head-Royce is a nationally recognized K-12 independent school which offers a challenging program focused on educating the whole child. Our world-class faculty bring unique perspectives from a wide range of experiences, and share a deep commitment to inspiring our students to become lifelong learners. We are proud to call ourselves a school both in and of Oakland, with families that reflect the fabric of the Bay Area.
We enroll a diverse student body of approximately 900 talented and ambitious learners. Our admissions are open to all students regardless of race, color, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, or ethnic origin.
History of the School
The spirit of inquiry and innovation brought by our founder, Anna Head, over 135 years ago remains infused in our culture today. From innovation centers, internships and integrated technology, to life skills classes, service learning, cross-divisional buddies and small advising groups, we are equally dedicated to educational excellence and social-emotional learning.
The mission of the Head-Royce School is to inspire in our students a lifelong love of learning and pursuit of academic excellence, to promote understanding of and respect for the diversity that makes our society strong and to encourage constructive and responsible global citizenship.
We accomplish this through our exceptional academic program that seeks to:
- develop critical thinking, collaboration and communication skills
- foster integrity, ethical behavior, compassion and a sense of humor
- promote responsibility and leadership
- respect individual and cultural differences, and diversity of thought
- nurture creativity, curiosity and imagination
- encourage joyful, healthy living, a love of nature and physical fitness