Head-Royce continues its strong commitment to socio-economic diversity through its financial assistance programs. For the 2012-2013 school year the School awarded nearly $4,000,000 to over 250 students in grades K-12. In addition, the Board of Trustees annually budgets additional money to support high school students in a work-study program. This year $15,000 is designated to support the work-study program.
Head-Royce, like most independent schools, offers need-based financial aid awards. Need-based financial aid is the difference between the family's resources and the cost of a student's educational expenses.
Head-Royce and many other independent schools use the Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) from the School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) to do a standardized calculation to determine need.
The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) maintains the website for School and Student Services (SSS) with extensive resources of information including case studies, scholarship providers, financial aid tips and frequently asked questions. Please click here to learn more about financial aid in independent schools.
What you need to do to apply for financial aid:
1. Talk with the Head-Royce Financial Aid Office about our financial aid program and your family's specific needs. The School and Student Service of Nais (SSS) website is available for submitting online applications (Parent Financial Statement) November 1. You will also need to download the following items to complete your financial aid application:
2. Complete the Parent Financial Statement (PFS) online at sss.nais.org. Ask our financial aid officer for help if you have questions about the PFS form.
3. Submit the online PFS to School and Student Service for Financial Aid with the filing fee by December 3, 2012 for HRS families with continuing financial aid applications or January 17, 2013 for new financial aid applications. Keep a copy of the PFS for your records.
4. Complete both sides of the Head-Royce Financial Aid Request Form (School/Organization Financial Aid Application) and submit it to Head-Royce School and sss.nais.org by the appropriate deadline, December 3 or January 17.
5. All parents (continuing and new, custodial and non-custodial) submit their 2012 IRS Form 1040 with all supporting schedules, W-2s and Form 4506-T to the processing service by February 15, 2013. Include the PFS cover sheet when mailing documents.
6. Meet all deadlines. A late application can mean limited or no financial aid.
We will communicate financial aid decisions on February 25, 2013 for current HRS students or with the admissions decisions mailed in March 2013 for newly admitted students.
The Head-Royce Financial Aid Office is available to help. Call us with your questions at 510/531-1300 x2113.